Conor McGregor: "I’m boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East"


Conor McGregor looks set to make a return to boxing, with the Irish MMA star claiming that he has lined up a fight with eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao.


The Dubliner caused quite a stir on social media this evening, when he released a series of tweets confirming his desire to return to action.


McGregor posted a series of private messages exchanged with UFC president Dana White, in which he outlined his wish to fight WelterweightDiego Sanchez in Dublin.




The Notorious was last in the octagon in January, when he beat "Cowboy" Donald Cerrone.


Now he is working hard on a return and it appears he is willing to switch back to boxing in order to speed up his return.


Incredibly, McGregor claimed he is set to take on the legendary Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East.


He said: "Anyway all water under the bridge who gives a fook. Im boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East.


"It will be a true honour to have faced two of the greatest boxers of the modern era, afraid of a fight."






McGregor's manager, Audie Attar, who also represents Pacquaio, told ESPN that the Crumlin-native is in serious talks to fight the boxing legend, although the fight isn't a done deal.


The McGregor-Pacquiao match would take place in late December or early January, Attar told the publication. The Middle East is one of a few locations being discussed to host the fight, he added.


Following the Pacquiao fight, Attar said the plan was for McGregor to return to the UFC in 2021.


Before announcing his plans to fight Pacquiao, McGregor revealed how he was hoping to fight three times this year, which he repeatedly referred to as his "season."


After his 40-second decimation of Cerrone at UFC 246 in January, McGregor looked on course to do just that. The coronavirus pandemic, coupled with less than amicable talks with the UFC, well and truly scuppered those plans.


The fractured talks with the UFC prompted McGregor to announce his third retirement from mixed martial arts in June.


Seemingly frustrated by the whole saga, McGregor revealed details of his attempts to convince White to give him another bout on social media on Friday night. This came after he revealed he'd happily be the final opponent Diego Sanchez's long and storied career.


He tweeted: "To Diego Sanchez... I seen your recent comments about your final bout and I am in!


"After you fought [Michel] Pereira, I had requested for myself and you to compete in Dublin.


"This was back in February when I was working on opposition for my season, pre covid. Good luck this weekend!"




In another post which revealed more of his chat with White, McGregor added: "3 weeks post my last record breaking event, I was campaigning for another blockbuster McGregor event to take place.


"Sad about my season I must say."


"Heres the finish of that exchange," McGregor wrote alongside another revealing picture." Pre COVID. Pre retirement.






"Never turned down offer of Tony [Ferguson] as was suggested at the time.


"I stated months in advance (early February) that I was not interested in being an alternate for two consistent pullouts. Pushed for my own scheduled bouts."


"I was pushing hard for the season," McGregor tweeted after revealing the final segment of the chat. "Multiple opponents, multiple dates offered throughout. All to take place back to back.


"Then when COVID hit and the talk was that I would have to wait for crowds again. I walked away from the situation. I was waiting long enough at that stage."




White has yet to comment on McGregor's revelations, although he is expecting the Dubliner to be back in action in early 2021.


The UFC's tentative plans to have McGregor return in early 2021 could de derailed by legal issues for 'Mystic Mac'.


Earlier this month, the former featherweight and lightweight champion was arrested and questioned in Corsica following an allegation of an "attempted sexual assault".


Both McGregor and his management have vociferously denied the allegation.