RT will make a decision in the next few weeks whether to bring Dancing With The Stars back to the telly next year, writes John Kierans.
The producers of the smash-hit show ShinAwil had to re-pitchDancing With The Stars (DWTS)to station bosses a few weeks ago, even though it had record ratings and was a massive success story.
A source said: "ShinAwil had to do a similar thing with the Voice of Ireland and re-pitch it to RT after three years, a couple of years ago.
RT bosses liked it and it then got another two years on air.
DWTS had been the rock of RT One Sunday nights schedule with between 500,000 to 600,000 a week tuning in to the live two-hour dance-off, kicking off after the news at 6.30pm since it first started in 2017.
The audience stayed with the station after DWTS, right through the night, bringing in a big advertising spin-off.
It was stopped in March last year when the Covid-19 pandemic broke.
It finished a week earlier and the semi-final was turned into a final with 2FM star Lottie winning with dance partner Pasquale Le Rocca.
However, with no live audience allowed, RT decided it was better for public health reasons to give it a miss.
An insider said: A decision will be made in the coming weeks and the producers are really hoping they get the green light so they can hire the studio and get the dancers and celebs organised.
"It normally takes a summer to get things sorted.
ShinAwil refused to comment.
For the latest news and breaking news visitwww.buzz.ie/news.
Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.
Follow us onTwitter- the official Buzz.ie Twitter account - real news in real time.
We're also onFacebook- your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day from the Irish Daily Star and Buzz.ie
You can also get in touch with us via our Instagram account.