Seven die after ingesting hand sanitiser in replacement for alcohol


A group of nine people in total drank hand sanitiser at a party in Russia leaving seven dead


Seven people have died in Russia after ingesting hand sanitiser in replacement for alcohol at a party on Thursday night.


In total, nine people ingested the substance at a premises in Tomtor village in the Yakutia region, reports MailOnline.


Two others remain in a coma with the first three victims being a female aged 41 and two males aged 27 and 59.


A further three out of the seven were also aged between 28 and 69.


Per MailOnline, the federal public health watchdog said: Nine cases of poisoning with sanitiser have been registered, including seven that were fatal.


According to reports, the nine drank the hand sanitiser, made of 69% methanol, when there was no more alcohol at the party left.


The Russian government has renewed warnings, visible on the bottles, for its citizens to not consume the contents.