- A great space heater can make the bitter cold of winter bearable, and the Trustech Ceramic Space Heater is our top pick because it's affordable, programmable, and it heats up quickly.
If you don't have central heating, or do but don't want to use all that energy, then a space heater is a great way to ensure you keep nice and warm during those long winter months. Space heaters will keep you warm in your frigid office, that one cold room in your house, or your chilly dorm room.
There are plenty of space heaters to choose from, so you might have to do a little research to find the right one for your needs. Thankfully, we've done the research for you to find the best space heaters you can buy. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Room size: You'll want to think about the size of your room. Space heaters can often only do so much, and if you're trying to heat a huge room, you may want to consider buying a larger space heater. Likewise, if you're largely going to use the device in a smaller room, then perhaps save some money and energy and go for a smaller space heater.
- Energy efficient models: Additionally, some space heaters are built specifically to be energy-efficient and buying one of those options means you could save a little money on your monthly energy bill. Plenty of those energy-efficient heaters are high-quality, too, and they will heat your room just as well as any non-energy-efficient heater.
- Portability: While you may not be taking your space heater out of your house often, you may still need to move it from room to room. If that's the case, you'll want to make sure that it's relatively easy to move.
Last but not least, you'll want to consider what the space heater looks like. Sure, that may not be as important as offering heat, but the fact is that a space heater could well become a piece of furniture in your house, and as such, it should be able to fit in with the rest of your furniture reasonably well.
Here are the best space heaters you can buy:
- Best space heater overall: Trustech Ceramic Space Heater
- Best small space heater: Lasko 754200 heate
- Best high-end space heater: Dyson AM09 heater
- Best space heater fan: Vornado AVH2 Plus heater
- Best stylish space heater: Honeywell UberHeat Ceramic Heater
Updated on 10/10/2019 by Caitlin Petreycik: Updated formatting, prices, and links.
The best space heater overall
The Trustech Ceramic Space Heater puts out warm air within three seconds of being switched on and can be programmed to run from one to 12 hours.
If you've got a cold office, bedroom, or nursery on your hands, when do you want your space heater to get to work warming it up, in a few minutes, or right this very second? While the Trustech Ceramic Space Heater might not be able to help warm things up in one second, give this plucky little unit three seconds, and you'll begin to feel warm air.
Its ceramic heating elements warm up quickly and its built-in fan starts blowing out heated air that can rapidly raise the ambient temperature in a midsized room.
The Trustech space heater can produce air cooled down to 59º Fahrenheit (ambient temperature permitting) or as warm as 85º Fahrenheit, and it can be programmed to run for anywhere between one and 12 hours, or simply left switched on.
Don't worry about it overheating, either, as it has an automatic shutoff feature that kicks in if it reaches too high a temperature. It will also shut down if tipped over. While running, the heater can be focused in one direction or set to oscillate, evenly heating a larger space.
And what's that you say? Your Trustech Ceramic Space Heater must be broken because it keeps on blowing air for 30 seconds after you switched it off? Nope, that's just another safety feature. It blows cool air across its heating element for a half a minute after switched off to ensure minimal risk of injury or fire.
Just note that a few Amazon reviewers did complain about its noisy fan and the less than intuitive temperature control button, which requires cycling all the way up to the top temperature to reach lower temps. — Steven John
Pros: Heats up rapidly, oscillation option, multiple safety features
Cons: Noisy fan, clunky temp control button
The best small space heater
The Lasko 754200 heater isn't just super affordable, it's also easy to use and offers a number of different modes and adjustable thermostat.
The Lasko 754200 heater is all the heater you need. Even though it is small and relatively basic, this tiny space heater can warm an entire room quickly. It's also super compact and easy to store when you're not using it, making it perfect for use in smaller apartments, dorms, and offices. Lasko's heater is so cheap that you could get one for each room in your house if need be and still not pay as much as you would for an oil-filled radiator.
It's a simple looking space heater that should fit in fairly well. At the very least, it's small enough that it won't dominate the room. It's also pretty compact, coming in at only 9.2-inches tall, so it's easy to move from room to room.
In terms of features, Lasko kept it simple. You get variable temperature settings and a variety of heating modes. The power switch doubles as a way to control the different modes and there's also an adjustable thermostat so you can customize the temperature. The different modes include high heat, low heat, and fan only.
Insider Picks guides editor Malarie Gokey tested the Lasko heater in her New York apartment when a major cold snap kicked in, and she loved it. It easily heated up most of her one bedroom apartment and it was the perfect size to use in her tiny bathroom to keep it cozy.
The only downsides are that the heater doesn't offer some of the timing and programming features that you might get from other heaters, and because it's fan-operated, it might be a little loud at times. Other than that, Lasko's heater is a great buy.
Pros: Extremely affordable, easy-to-use basic features, portable, warms up any room or office
Cons: Fan-based so could be noisy, a little basic
The best high-end space heater
The Dyson Bladeless Heater isn't just a great heater and air conditioner — it's beautifully designed, too, so it'll fit well in any room.
Dyson may be best known for its vacuums, but the company makes other things, too – like great space heaters. This heater may, in fact, be the most futuristic heater on the list, boasting an excellent design that will fit well in any room.
The Dyson AM09 bladeless heater uses what Dyson calls "Jet Focus," which pushes air out in a precise and narrow path. In other words, instead of heating the whole room at once, this heater blasts hot air in one direction, so you can point it at you to keep nice and toasty. You can, of course, choose to have it heat in all directions instead, but if you need a quick blast of hot air, you'll have Jet Focus mode up your sleeve. You'll also get a sleep timer, so you can set a time for the heater to switch off on its own.
Perhaps one of the best things about this heater is the fact that it isn't just a heater. It's also an air conditioner, so you can use it during the summer to keep nice and cool, too. According to reviews, while it does produce some noise, it's not overly loud. That's because of its aerodynamic diffuser, which helps cut down on the fan noise.
While the Dyson AM09 heater is a great option, there are a few downsides to consider. For example, it's a pretty expensive heater, and if you lose the remote, you won't have access to some of the features like the sleep timer. Still, it has been pretty highly-reviewed.
Pros: Well-designed, lots of features, included remote
The best space heater that's also a fan
Not only does the Vornado AVH2 Plus offer two different heat settings, it also boasts a cool fan setting.
While you could get the Dyson AM09 for your heater/air conditioner combo, you may not want to spend the money for it. In that case, there's another option: the Vornado AVH2 Plus. This heater not only packs both a heater and a fan, it also has some pretty helpful high-tech features built right into it.
For example, it has automatic climate control, so you can set your ideal temperature, and the device will automatically circulate warm air to match that temperature. It also offers two heat settings, which match 750W and 1,500W outputs. Finally, it has a fan-only option, so you can keep using the device in the summer if you so choose. It even has a timer, which you can set for between 1 and 12 hours.
Of course, there are some negatives to consider. For example, while Vornado promises "whisper-quiet" operating, the fact that it's a fan-powered device means it may get noisy. It's also a tad small.
Pros: Auto climate control, two heat settings, heater and fan options
Cons: Will still make noise, a little expensive
The best stylish space heater
The Honeywell UberHeat Ceramic Heater has a fun modern design that'll look cute in any home.
If you care about design, our top pick may leave you a little cold. The Honeywell UberHeat Ceramic Heater is much cuter looking with its round design and cute angled legs. It looks less like a normal space heater and more like a retro speaker or something.
It's also quite small, so it can fit in any room easily. Although it's tiny, it's a 1500 watt heater that will warm your space up fast. It has two heat settings and an adjustable thermostat. Honeywell's heater doesn't have many fancy features, but it gets the job done.
If you worry about your heater becoming too hot, never fear, because Honeywell has included overheat protection and its housing won't get overly warm. The Honeywell heater has a three-year warranty in case anything goes wrong.
Pros: Warms rooms up, portable, affordable, stylish, safety features
Cons: No special features
Check out our other winter gear guides
All too often, women's winter boots put fashion above function and you end up with cold wet feet. We tested dozens of winter boots to find the best ones for warmth, style, and comfort.
To test these boots, we dunked them in a tub filled with icy water and tried to make them slip on patches of ice. We wore them on cold days to see how warm they were and stepped into deep puddles on rainy days to test water resistance. We walked for miles on snowy stretches of sidewalk in New York City and waded through snow banks in Central Park to vet these boots.
Our opinions are also backed up by expert reviewers and actual buyers, so rest assured — these winter boots are guaranteed to keep your feet warm, dry, and happy all winter long and for many winters to come.
Here are the best winter boots for women:
- Best winter boots overall: UGG Adirondack III Boots
- Best tall winter boots: Sorel Joan of Arctic Boots
- Best tough winter boots: Columbia Bugaboot IV Winter Boots
- Best stylish winter boots: Sorel Slimpack II Lace Boots
- Best winter boots made in America: L.L.Bean Shearling-lined Bean Boots
- Best mid-calf winter boots: Columbia Heavenly Omni-Heat Lace-Up Boots
- Best sustainably made winter boots: Kamik Sienna Boots
- Best extra warm winter boots: L.L.Bean Pro Wildcat Boots
- Best stylish winter boots for the city: UGG Fraser Boots
A good winter coat will keep you warm and dry even when the snow is falling and the wind is howling. A great winter coat will keep you warm, dry, and looking good, too.
Here are the best men's winter coats you can buy:
- Best winter coat overall: Patagonia Topley Jacket
- Best waterproof: Columbia OutDry Ex Gold Down Hooded Jacket
- Best for working: Caterpillar Heavy Insulated Parka
- Best for extreme cold: Mountain Hardware Absolute Zero Parka
- Best versatile parka: Fjällräven Kyl Parka
- Best classic wool coat: Woolrich Classic Peacoat
The word "beanie" is kind of one of those catch-alls that encompasses a ton of different styles, from slouchy cuts to ultra-fitted ones with a variety of embellishments and fabric variations. The sheer number of options is overwhelming. After all, when you can buy a beanie anywhere, how do you narrow it down?
You could do a ton of research on the topic. Or you can read on for our top five favorite picks for men and women from around the Internet.
Here are the best beanies you can buy:
- Best beanie overall: The North Face Shinksy Beanie, $30
- Best under-$20 beanie: Carhartt Acrylic Watch Hat, $12.99
- Best cashmere beanie: Naadam Signature Ribbed Cashmere Beanie, $65
- Best pom-pom beanie: Patagonia Vintage Town Beanie, $45
- Best high-tech beanie: Tenergy Wireless Bluetooth Beanie, $24.95
Your choice of scarf can make or break your comfort level in the wintertime. Opt for one that's wooly and warm and you'll be toasty. Choose a too-thin fabric and you, well, won't. Scarves are also a great opportunity to infuse a bit of personality into your winter wardrobe. And when you get bored of your outerwear, you can always pick a new scarf to mix things up.
These five brands are your best bet for warm, attractive options that will keep you cozy all winter long.
Here are the best places to buy scarves:
- Best scarves overall: J. Crew
- Best stylish scarves: Topshop and Topman
- Best plaid scarves: Barbour
- Best warm scarves: Patagonia