A police probe is underway after Donald Trump's presidential campaign website was 'defaced' on Tuesday in what his team has called an 'attack'.
Incumbent President Donald Trump's campaign website fell foul of hackers on Tuesday night.
A banner appeared across the page at donaldtrump.com, claiming "this site was seized, the world has had enough of the fake news" spread by Donald J. Trump.
Was the Trump campaign website hacked this morning when it said that the world has had enough of the fake news spread by Trump?
Or..... did Trump's webmaster finally have a pang of guilt and had to tell it the way it is? pic.twitter.com/TkHZevOxhT
The Ends Justify the Memes (@KnowWhatEyeMeme) October 28, 2020
Rather ominously for Trump, an allusion is made at the bottom of the hack that "the truth is coming".
There's no certainty as to what "truth" is coming, though, the Democrats will be hoping that it means a damaging leak relating to the US President is imminent.
The hackers claim to have evidence of crimes committed by the Trump family, and is offering the sale or prohibition of these files in exchange for cryptocurrency.
The site was taken offline a short while later with Trump's team suggesting an investigation was underway after having informed the police.
Earlier this evening, the Trump campaign website was defaced and we are working with law enforcement authorities to investigate the source of the attack. There was no exposure to sensitive data because none of it is actually stored on the site. The website has been restored.
Tim Murtaugh (@TimMurtaugh) October 28, 2020
Trump campaign spokesperson, Tim Murtagh, said the site was "defaced and we are working with law enforcement authorities to investigate the source of the attack".
Mr Murtaugh asserts that no sensitive information was gained by the hackers.
Many will be wondering where the attack originated and who carried it out, with social media commentators crying conspiracy involving the highest ranks of foreign adversaries.
However, it's worth noting, the last time a similar ransomware attack took place in July, it targeted the social media accounts of Democrats like Joe Biden and Barrack Obama, with a 17-year-old from Florida ultimately found to be responsible.